Thursday, March 4, 2010

Bad Mommy Moment

I fell HORRIBLE....

So here is the story.

We have stairs in our house, carpeted stairs. Our 1 and 2 year old are always climbing up and climbing down them. They do very well. Well last Nite our 1 year old was tired and cranky. I had just taken the 2 year old up to shower cause she spilled sticky juice on herself. Our 1 year old was lazily sitting on the floor near the stairs watching daddy do something with a hook and screws. I get to the top of the stairs and glance down to make sure 1 year old wasn't following (If she follows I wait for her to make sure she makes it up ok). So she isn't following, I vanish into the bathroom with 2 year old and we hear a BOOM.... BOOM BOOM BOOM. SCREAM. CRY. "OH SHIT" I run out and see my 1 year old at the bottom of the stairs in a crumbled mess of blanket and bottle. Hubby is at her side panicing. I run down the stairs and Hubby hands her to me. He say's he hear a boom, look at the stairs and watched as she rolled down the whole 13 steps of stairs and crash into the wall. He says he couldn't get to her in time and even hung up on his boss who had just called him.

I checked her over and calmed her down. We had her do her normal stuff. Jump up and down, touch her toes, shake her head, High five us, hugs, and kisses. She did everything fine. She has no bruises and no marks, nothing was even red on her. Hubby freaked and said no more, if she wants up or down, we need to carry her.

She's ok, but I feel like such a horrible mommy for it and there was nothing I could do anyways. I told Hubby that he couldn't do anything either and that by stopping her mid fall might of done more damage then help, Sometimes.

Doctor said if she is acting fine, then guess what "She's fine" He said if she didn't black out or have trouble breathing or any nasty bruises or bleeding. She is fine.

So that is my bad mommy moment. :(


In other news... Hubby is an ass and really makes me lose faith in MANkind... I think I might want to just become a full on lesbian...

1 comment:

Natja's Natterings said...

I am going to be an old fashioned mean mother and just say, Children fall!

Toddlers have soft skulls for a reason, they are expected to fall, they will fall and their body is set up for it, now had she fallen hard down a flight of external concrete stairs (ok, I admit, I did that as a child and I had one hell of a bump I can tell you) than I might worry, but an internal carpeted staircase? It actually would cause more damage to an older child or an adult than a toddler, our bodies just can't take the impact. So listen to your doctor and don't feel guilty or if it worries you still, consider getting stairguards so the children can only go up and down the stiars when you want them to.
You are not a bad mother, don't be so hard on yourself.
xx